Photos of Stock and Buttsbury.     

                         This page shows photographs taken by myself of Stock and Buttsbury.                           



The entrance to All Saints church from the main road.  The church dates back to the 13th century.





A side view of All Saints church taken from the glebe.



St Mary's Buttsbury is a church  beside the Stock to Ingatestone road in the

middle of the country and dates back to the 12th century.



Our Lady and St Joseph catholic church was built in the 1890s as St Joseph's catholic school and became the church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in the mid 1930s, taking its name from the catholic chapel in Lilystone Hall.  The church was renamed Our Lady and St Joseph in the mid 2000s.



The former National School dates back to the mid 1840s and since the 1970s has been a private residence









The Twedeye Almshouses date back to the 16th century.  There are four almhouses.  Orginally two were intended for Stock people and two for Boreham people





The War Memorial was errected in 1920.




The Bear dates back to the 16th century.  During the English Civil Wars two Royalist soldiers escaping from the Siege of Colchester were caught and executed here.  The ghost of the ostler Charles 'Spider' Marshall haunts The Bear




At one time there were three windmills in Stock.  Two were post mills and one, which has survived, a tower mill.  The mill dates back to the early 1800s  and is open between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. every second Sunday of the month between April and September




The current Stock Village Hall dates only from the begining of the present century 




A non-working replica of the  pump that once stood on the village green and was removed in about the late 1930s.  The replica dates from 2012



The High Street looking north




The High Street looking south